Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I wish he were here...


He's always with me in my heart and never far from my thoughts. Martine and I were walking around the outside of a beautiful old house today. It's near downtown Indianapolis and it's priced right, but it needs a lot of work. Tyler would have been able to help us determine if it's too much work. He would have been able to help us do the work. He would have loved it!! He actually might have beat us to it if he were still...here.
We peered into the windows and immediately saw the potential of this 4,200 square foot gem, built in 1901. It has beautiful woodwork that is just begging for a little TLC. There's a fantastic screened-in porch off the back of the house and I could see us sitting out there with a group of friends on a warm summer evening. I could see us out there with our coffee and newspaper on a lazy Sunday morning. I could see us creating the home we both crave and building a life there. I could also see us making it beautiful and selling it for a massive profit. Either way, I can see it clearly. Unfortunately, part of my vision included Tyler working on it with us. He was there showing us how to do the things we don't know how to do, he was there leveling out the back deck and making it sturdy and beautiful again, he was there sharing the dream with us...laughing with us. I'm always going to miss that laugh, that smile, that warm voice, that hug. It's really hard to think about taking on a project like this without him, one that would have been so right up his alley. I can only hope that he will watch over us and guide our hands as we transform the run-down and neglected into the beauty we both envision. Listen to me; you'd think we'd already bought the place...

No comments: