Monday, January 12, 2009

Random, but not really...


I laugh every time I see this photo and I see it every day. It's on our photo wall at home. Tyler put on a good 'ick' act, but I know better. He loved those sisterly kisses on his scruffy cheek. Even when we got angry with each other, it would never last long. We relied on each other too much for love and support to let anything come between us.

Last night I'm sitting at dinner with my love. We had just come off of a day in the recording studio and a 6 mile bike ride. We're drinking margaritas and sharing a tostada, and talking about our trip to Australia toward the end of this year. It was an exciting conversation, full of adventures yet to come. I was gazing at her, taking in the external and internal beauty I see every time, and I thought about Tyler. It was one of those moments when I had a fleeting thought about sharing my excitement with him. Telling him about the trip we're planning, telling him about the other adventures we've been discussing, telling him about her and how much she means to me. I started to get tears in my eyes and she asked me what was going on. I didn't tell her about it in that moment. She smiled and grumbled, and told me how difficult it is to get things out of me sometimes. The problem was I knew if I talked about it, I wouldn't be able to stop the flood. I didn't want to cry...in that moment.

Later in the evening we were watching a television show. There was a character who worked in a hospital and they thought he had a brain tumor. Turns out it was only scar tissue, but seeing the hospital setting and hearing the words 'brain tumor' was enough to bring the tears again. This time and let them fall, just for a minute. She knew without me saying it outloud. It was one of those random, but not really...moments.

No comments: